ECERDC SECURES COMMITTED INVESTMENTS TOTALLING RM1.4 BILLION IN KELANTAN AS OF 31st AUGUST 2023
Newly completed Tok Bali Integrated Fisheries Park (TBIFP) offers SME players opportunities to engage in downstream fisheries activities
KOTA BHARU, 14 SEPTEMBER 2023: The East Coast Economic Region Development Council (ECERDC) has achieved committed investments worth RM1.4 billion in Kelantan’s manufacturing, agribusiness and services sectors as of 31st August 2023. Of the total, 50.1% is Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the manufacturing sector, whereas the remaining 49.9% is Domestic Direct Investment (DDI) in the agribusiness and services sectors.
ECERDC also realised investments totalling RM270 million in the services sector in 2023 as of 31st August which will provide employment and entrepreneurial opportunities for the people of Kelantan.
“I firmly believe that infrastructure projects to strengthen transportation network which include the ongoing Lingkaran Tengah Utama and Kota Bharu-Kuala Krai Highway which are undertaken by the Ministry of Works, as well as the upgrading of Sultan Ismail Petra Airport by the Ministry of Transport will increase Kelantan’s potential as an ideal investment destination and fast-track the state’s socio-economic development,” said YAB Dato’ Panglima Perang Ustaz Dato’ Haji Mohd Nassuruddin Bin Haji Daud, Kelantan’s new Menteri Besar.
YAB Dato’ Panglima Perang Ustaz Dato’ Haji Mohd Nassuruddin also recorded his deepest appreciation to the former Menteri Besar of Kelantan, YAB Dato’ Bentara Kanan Ustaz Dato’ Haji Ahmad bin Yakob who helmed Kelantan from 6 May 2013 till 21 June 2023 for his invaluable contributions during his decade-long tenure.
In addition to enhancing Kelantan’s attractiveness to investors by implementing strategic infrastructure projects, the Federal Government has taken the initiative through ECERDC to also implement high-impact projects aimed at upscaling Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), attracting new investments and boosting cross-border trade.
“The recently completed Tok Bali Integrated Fisheries Park (TBIFP) Phase 1B (Package 3) will provide investors and SME players an opportunity to participate in the downstream fishing activities. ECERDC will work closely with the Kelantan State Government and the Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia (LKIM) in promoting investments to TBIFP,” said Dato’ Baidzawi Che Mat, Chief Executive Officer of ECERDC.
During the meeting, the members of ICC Kelantan were also updated on the planning of Lebuhraya Pantai Timur Phase 3 (LPT 3), and other initiatives to strengthen tourism attractions in Kelantan. This include the nomination of Masjid Kampung Laut as a National Heritage Monument which has been initiated by ECERDC in July 2023 in collaboration with Jabatan Warisan Negara as well as the redevelopment project of Pulau Suri’s Thai-style floating market in Tumpat.
“Masjid Kampung Laut is the pride of the people of Kelantan and it is ECERDC’s sincere wish that our effort to ensure that Masjid Kampung Laut is recognised as the National Heritage Monument will be concluded by October 2024 as planned,” added Dato’ Baidzawi.
Apart from investment and projects, Inisiatif Pendapatan Rakyat (IPR) to boost the income of the hardcore poor and the B40 group was also discussed. Currently the first phase of IPR initiative has been implemented in eight (8) districts in Kelantan and ECERDC is currently identifying suitable land in Jeli, Kuala Krai, Gua Musang and Machang for the planned commercial scale chili fertigation project under the IPR INTAN programme which will utilise the Anchor Company Model.
The ICC Kelantan members were also given an overview of ECERDC’s current projects and initiatives, including the progress of ECER Master Plan 3.0 which was jointly presented by ECERDC and PricewaterhouseCoopers Advisory Services Sdn. Bhd. (PwC), the proposed dairy valley project in Kelantan, which is expected to increase the production of fresh milk in the country and the positioning of Lojing as a prominent highland agriculture location.