Pahang’s Tourism Appeal Strengthened with the Completion of ECERDC’s Sustainable Tourism Projects

PUTRAJAYA, 22 AUGUST 2023: The East Coast Economic Region Development Council (ECERDC) has successfully attracted RM5.6 billion in committed investments in 2023 as of end July. The investment is in tourism, services, manufacturing, Oil, Gas & Petrochemicals (OGP) and Agribusiness. Of the total, 64% is domestic direct investment (DDI) and the remaining 36% is foreign direct investment (FDI) from Singapore, China and Canada.

Pahang Menteri Besar, YAB Dato’ Sri Haji Wan Rosdy Bin Wan Ismail at the ECER Implementation and Coordination Committee (ICC) Pahang meeting today commended ECERDC on the RM5.6 billion committed investment into the state of Pahang and the completion of ECERDC’s tourism projects.

“I would like to congratulate ECERDC for organizing their 15th Anniversary celebration and Invest@ECER Series in Pahang on 4th July 2023. I am confident that ECERDC will be able to continue attracting noteworthy investments in close collaboration with Pahang State Government agencies, Ministry of Investment, Trade and Industry (MITI) and the Malaysian Investment Development Authority (MIDA). I am also pleased with the tourism infrastructure projects undertaken by ECERDC in Pahang and I believe these projects will create a spillover effect and benefit the state and its people,” he added.

Pahang’s tourism appeal is further strengthened with the completion of Kampung Salang Jetty and Lotus flotilla in Tasik Chini as well as the soon to be completed upgrading works at Pantai Hiburan Rompin. These projects are set to increase Pahang’s appeal as a sustainable tourism destination.

The upgrading of Kampung Salang jetty in Tioman Island which was recently completed was undertaken to refurbish the dilapidated jetty, benefiting tourist arrivals as well as locals. Meanwhile, the Lotus flotilla project is a collaboration between ECERDC with Forest Research Institute Malaysia (FRIM) and Tasik Chini Research Centre, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (PPTC-UKM) to conserve the lotus population and the biosphere at Tasik Chini.

The upgrading of Pantai Hiburan Rompin includes the construction of the gateway, lookout tower, gazebo, ticket counter and other public amenities. Pantai Hiburan Rompin is also earmarked to be the first Recreational Vehicle (RV) Park in ECER.

“These projects, together with the soon to be completed upgrading works at Pantai Hiburan Rompin are part of ECERDC’s strategy to create destinations or “Mencipta Destinasi” to catalyze domestic tourism, with a focus on sustainable destinations in line with the Federal Government’s focus on nature and sustainable tourism. All these projects will give tourists a meaningful opportunity to interact with both nature and the locals,” said Dato’ Baidzawi Che Mat, Chief Executive Officer of ECERDC.

Under the National Ecotourism Plan 2016-2025, Malaysia aims to create synergies between local communities, the economy and tourism to encourage interaction between locals and visitors, where visitors can discover Malaysian culture through locals and with a positive impact to the community.

At the meeting, ICC Pahang members were updated on the upcoming handover of two of ECERDC’s successful agribusiness projects based on the public-private partnership model, namely the Muadzam Shah Cattle Research and Innovation Centre (MSCRIC) to Farm Fresh Berhad and Rompin Integrated Pineapple Project (RIPP) to Malaysia Pineapple Industry Board (LPNM).


ECERDC is also implementing Inisiatif Pendapatan Rakyat (IPR) – INTAN programme to alleviate poverty in ECER through the implementation of chili fertigation. This initiative involves the appointment of an anchor company to be the operator of the project, and to employ and train the hardcore poor and B40 communities in chili fertigation. This project is to be implemented with funds from the Federal government and land allocation from the state government.


The ICC Pahang members were also briefed on other ongoing ECERDC projects and initiatives which include Lingkaran Tengah Utama (formerly known as the Central Spine Road), water distribution from Kemaman to Gebeng project, conservation of heritage building facade in Pekan as well as the progress of ECER Master Plan 3.0.